The Big Picture
Our business ethics in the daily conduct with customers, partners and employees are determined by the ten principles in the areas of human rights, labour, environment and anti-corruption of the UN Global Compact Initiative.
1: Businesses should support and respect the protection of internationally proclaimed human rights.
2: Businesses should make sure they are not complicit in human rights abuses.
3: Businesses should uphold the freedom of association and the effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining.
4: Businesses should uphold the elimination of all forms of forced and compulsory labour.
5: Businesses should uphold the effective abolition of child labour.
6: Businesses should uphold the elimination of discrimination in respect of employment and occupation.
7: Businesses should support a precautionary approach to environmental challenges.
8: Businesses should undertake initiatives to promote greater environmental responsibility.
9: Businesses should encourage the development and diffusion of environmentally friendly technologies.
10: Businesses should work against corruption in all its forms, including extortion and bribery.
What We Want
We commit to continuously improve environmental protection, avoid unnecessary environmental impact and follow strictly the environmental laws.
We want to manufacture our products without harming the people that manufacture them, avoid hazardous materials wherever possible, use energy responsibly, and minimize our waste.
What We Do
- Having won the first price in the competition "Office & Environment" of the German Environmental Management Association (B.A.U.M.) in 2011, MEN commits itself to environmental protection and considers it a primary company goal. MEN also encourages its employees to participate in the protection of the environment. Effective laws are regarded as minimum requirements.
- We actively avoid waste in nearly paperless offices by optimizing internal processes and document management. Otherwise, we only use recycled paper.
- We shut down devices and systems whenever they are not in use or on weekends.
- We use degradable cleaning agents.
- We reuse our modular office furniture.
- Whenever possible, conferences take place via internet and telephone.
- We prefer the train as a means of public transport for necessary outside appointments.
- Compared to the first SMD line, our second SMD line achieves savings of 46% for the major energy users, with the same operating time and a higher output of comparable production parts.
- Our third building, built in 2011, exceeds the EnEV standard of 2009 for new buildings by 15% in terms of energy efficiency.
- Our fourth building, built in 2017, aims at a primary energy consumption of significantly less than 100 kWh/m2a by tempering the building, using geothermal energy, environmentally sustainable and recyclable building materials, a green roof and preservation of the existing tree population.
We continuously work on strengthening the environmental awareness of our employees in order to define new concrete goals.
- ISO 14001: Since 2003, we have installed an environmental management system according to ISO 14001 including our guidelines for environmental protection.
- B.A.U.M.: MEN is a member of B.A.U.M. e.V. (German Environmental Management Association), supports the manifold endeavors of B.A.U.M. for precautionary, integrated environmental protection through ideas and financing, and has committed itself to putting the code for environmentally aware management developed by B.A.U.M. into practice.
- Umweltpakt Bayern: MEN is a member of Umweltpakt Bayern, an initiative of the German state of Bavaria.
- quer.kraft: MEN is an active member of the Association for Management of Ideas and Innovations of the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg and implements its research approach to reducing the environmental impact of products and their production, also considering the lifetime and the disposal of products.
Certification and Memberships
What We Want
We follow an open and honest policy towards our employees and want to motivate them to treat each other in the same respectful way. At the same time we want to sensitize all members of the MEN family to take tolerance and solidarity home with them into their daily lives.
What We Do
- We exclusively offer permanent contracts of employment.
- As far as possible working hours are tailored to our employees' needs.
- We consider our colleagues from temporary employment agencies as future employees.
- We support and actively search for employees of different nationalities and actively fight prejudices against our foreign fellow citizens.
- We support family life by offering part time work.
- We support our employees even in difficult situations outside the working life.
- We encourage our employees to participate in social activities, such as Bike to Work, B2RUN, Rowing against Cancer, Fruit for the Office.
- We support our employees with retirement provision through deferred compensation.
- We support non-profit organizations by placing orders with them (catering, laundry service, promotional items, etc.)
We are currently planning an on-site day care for children.
Supported Organizations and Memberships
- MEN supports the non-profit organization Chancen e.V., which has the purpose to create jobs for mentally ill people.
- MEN supports the non-profit organization Mudra e.V., which offers alternative youth welfare and drug advice to help drug addicts lead a self-determined and content life.
- MEN is a founding member of the Ideen- und Innovationsmanagement e.V. (quer.kraft) of the Friedrich-Alexander-University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, which is an association of practitioners, scientists and students who have a common interest in innovative solutions for the areas of ideas and innovation management with the central method of best practice.
- MEN supports the Ludwig-Erhard-Preis (ILEP). The price appreciates holistic management achievements, which are based on the fundamental idea of excellence and which promote the sustainable development of companies among competitors. The Ludwig-Erhard-Preis builds on internationally recognized awards for holistic quality management like the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award (MBNQA) in the United States, the Japanese Deming Price or the European Quality Price.
Training & Education
What We Want
By offering vocational training and opportunities for further education we want to make sure that young, old and socially disadvantaged people have equal chances in their professional life. We want to offer all our employees a safe job within the company. We are proud to be able to contribute to securing the competitiveness of our area (Nuremberg, Germany).
What We Do
- We are a recognized apprenticing company for different occupational fields.
- We offer internships for students or people who want to retrain.
- Students have the opportunity to spend their internship or dissertation semester at our company.
- We cooperate with local training centers for the promotion and support of adult education or socially disadvantaged people.
- We offer our employees a variety of training opportunities. They have the chance to participate in the decision on the extent and content of their training.
We are trying to find an optimal way to support our employees in their personal development and offer them, wherever possible, new career perspectives within our company.
Supported Organizations and Partnerships
- Regarding professional training for job seekers, MEN collaborates with the service provider "bfw - Company for Training".
- MEN cooperates with the vocational training center Nuremberg of the SOS Children's Villages, which is renowned for training and qualifying young people from socially disadvantaged backgrounds.